Full Time / Monday - Friday 2pm - 10pm
Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all. The Geriatric Care Coordinator evaluates patients and makes recommendations to the healthcare team to determine the patients’ need for care. Performs Utilization Management functions to ensure medical necessity is established and the appropriate setting required to provide the care. Offers recommendations to the physicians in establishing admission criteria, appropriate LOC, and/or discharge needs of the patient. Assesses, plans, implements, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates options and services needed to meet an individual’s health needs throughout the continuum in various settings through communication and available resources to promote quality cost-effective outcomes. Provides emergent clinical interventions, crisis management, and discharge planning through assessment and counseling. Expedites linking patients with systems in the community to provide them with resources, services and opportunities to achieve and maintain maximum functioning. Is an integral part of the Revenue Management team.
Knowledge, Skills, Education & Experience Required:
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations with clear communication and the ability to convey information in electronic, written and verbal forms.
- Interpersonal skills that promote teamwork.
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills including clinical review, medical necessity criteria, and discharge options available in the community.
- Mastery of the electronic medical record and how to extrapolate data from it
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize internal and external resources.
- Flexibility in prioritization. The ability to multi-task and work in a stressful, fast-paced environment with very tight timelines, and the ability to adapt to change quickly.
- Effective organizational skills, self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Understanding of and ability to navigate U.S. and international healthcare payer systems.
- Ability to read and interpret diagnostic tests to expedite care including appropriate treatment options available.
- Computer skills to include Outlook, Wireless Office, Microsoft applications, and hospital clinical information systems.
- Graduate of School of Nursing ( RN).
- Minimum three (3) years experience as an RN in an acute care/ED clinical setting.
- BSN (preferred)
- Acute care experience with focus in Critical Care area or Emergency Department. (preferred)
- Discharge planning experience. (preferred)
- Experience in Hospital Case Management (CM), Utilization Management (UM), Discharge Planning, and Home Health. (preferred)
- Experience in Critical Care/ED. (preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- Current Florida State Board of Nursing RN License
- Specialty certification in Utilization Management, Case Management, Managed Care or other applicable professional certification, i.e. CCM/ACM. (preferred)
- Demonstrates through behavior, Florida Hospital’s core values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship, and Teamwork.
- Assesses applicable patient’s clinical record and applies appropriate medical necessity criteria to determine inpatient or observation status as appropriate level of care needed for the patient. Identifies inappropriate utilization/admissions and addresses other options with the physician and arrange alternate options for the patient.
- Takes an active role in facilitating patient flow by assessing complex patient needs as appropriate for clinical risk or complexity, psychosocial status, functional status and socio-environment and accurately contributes to the plan of care. Assures coordination of resources to meet patient needs and facilitates movement across the continuum of care in a cost effective manner.
- Advocates for the patient and family to ensure that prescribed interventions are suitable based on treatment criteria, acceptable evidence based care, patient’s choice and economic circumstances. Ensures arrangements for care needed are complete and patient/family is aware of services being arranged. Assists patient with follow-up physician concerns and offers community financial resources when applicable. Facilitates follow up appointments with physician offices when necessary and involving the patient and family in plan. Follows up with identified patients post discharge to ensure services are in place.
- Facilitates productive communication among the patient, caregiver and physician by keeping the patient and family informed of care options and choices available. Encourage the patient/family to communicate his/her wishes to the members of the healthcare team to ensure success of established plan.
- Performs discharge planning functions as evidenced by assessing the patient’s home environment when determining feasibility of discharge arrangements; including assessment of patient’s prior level of function in comparison to current functional status and available support systems. Offers crisis intervention, emotional support while recognizing problems, objectively evaluating facts, and reaching sound decisions regarding plan of care needs. Consults Medical Advisor as needed and documents discussions and final outcome determinations.
- Responds to patient status indicator flags to assess patients current needs and notify healthcare team members of current care patient is receiving. When indicated, educates patient and family on services available in the community to promote care needed in the primary setting and establishing avenue for continuity of care and for non-emergent care needs.
- Effective utilizes knowledge of resources available in the community in supporting the patient during episodes of care and in discharge preparation including proactive screening of patients exhibiting high risk indicators. Communicates with physicians to ensure appropriate and timely disposition needs. Documents plans discussed with the patient, family, physicians, etc. and in the appropriate FH software to ensure communication is available to all team members.
- Promotes execution of Advance Directives for all geriatric patients.
- Oversees volunteers as requested.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Geriatric Care Coordinator opportunity with Florida Hospital, Winter Park Memorial, and apply online today.